Thanks to this blog, I am a freelance (contract) reviewer for Shelf Awareness' Readers' Edition, and as of May 2011, they are the primary source of books I accept for review consideration. These reviews are compensated. Reviews published in SA will, in most cases, also be re-posted here with permission and attribution.
At this time, I am accepting a very limited number of books offered for (non-compensated) review consideration. Publicists are welcome to contact me at 3.rsblog AT Gmail DOT com if they would like their books considered for reading and reviewing here.
I may initiate requests for review copies based on my personal interests. I also continue to purchase, read, and review books for my own enjoyment.
Some things you should know about my reading and book-review practices:
- I review every book I read, including books that I purchase for myself.
- If I don't respond to your review offer, please consider it declined, and please don't take it personally!
- I seldom read or review self- or "indie-"published books, although I may discuss them in on the blog if I have an existing personal relationship with the author. For clarification on my position, please refer to this post.
- I occasionally participate in book blog tours in addition to posting independent reviews.
- With the exception of blog tours, I do not commit to a specific date for posting reviews unless it is is discussed in advance, and I will not post reviews of ARCs prior to publication date. If timing of the review is a concern, we should discuss this via e-mail.
- Accepting your book offer does not guarantee a review, but it does mean that I will review it as fairly as possible, like it or not.
- I do not guarantee that unsolicited books or ARCs (from any source) will be read or reviewed.
- I disclose the source of the book within my review; this is a way of acknowledging and thanking the provider, and in alignment with the Blog With Integrity disclosure principles and FTC regulations.
- I include "buy the book" links in my reviews through my IndieBound Affiliate account.
- I cross-post/link all reviews on LibraryThing and GoodReads. As a rule, I do not post reviews on Amazon.com or other consumer sites unless specifically requested.
- My reading choices are primarily driven by story and subject matter.
- I am primarily a general-fiction reader--"realistic," "domestic" and "literary" are also fitting descriptors--who prefers novels that don't fall squarely into the conventions of one genre or another.
- Memoirs and narrative nonfiction are my preferred nonfiction categories, but again, the story has to interest me. I am also interested in (recent) history, biography, and popular-culture topics.
- I do not normally read or review short stories, horror, romance, fantasy (pretty much anything categorized as "paranormal"), self-help, books marketed as "inspirational," or children's books. I will occasionally read and review non-genre, realistic fiction targeted for the YA market.
- I have been posting here regularly since March 2007, originally under a Blogspot URL. I acquired the custom domain http://www.3rsblog.com in July 2008.
- This blog has an engaged audience, with over 2500 feed subscribers at present (via Feedblitz) and average monthly pageviews of +/-2700 (+/-1000 uniques). It has a Google PageRank of 4.
- This blog has a Facebook page, and all posts are shared there and on Twitter.
- This blog has occasionally hosted author guest posts, but does not do author interviews.