I still claim Memphis, Tennessee as my "hometown," and last spring I had the opportunity to go back there with Tall Paul and introduce him to some of my favorite haunts. However, I now live in the Los Angeles area, which is one giant tourist attraction in itself, so I'm going to do lists for both. I'll start with my current home, though. Ten sights to see in L.A. is not exactly a tough call, and since I'm married to a native, I got some input from him and it went very quickly. Some of the choices are pretty obvious, but that's because they're things that many people actually do come here specifically to see, so it seems wrong not to list them.
- The Getty Museums - the "new" building on the Westside (near UCLA), and the "original" Getty Villa in Malibu
- A baseball game at Dodger Stadium
- Griffith Observatory in Griffith Park
- Driving on the Pacific Coast Highway
- Universal Studios/Citywalk
- Venice Beach
- "Museum Row" at Wilshire and Fairfax - LACMA (the Los Angeles County Museum of Art), the Page Museum/LaBrea Tar Pits, and the Petersen Auto Museum are all within a block or two of each other. And while you're in the neighborhood, visit the Farmers' Market at Third and Fairfax.
- A TV-show taping - tickets to be part of a "live studio audience" are available, and free of charge!
- Graceland (Yeah, you have to. I've actually taken people there twice, which is one more time than I ever thought I'd go.)
- Sun Studios (where music history was made)
- The Memphis Zoo (since I used to work there, I'm not impartial - plus, they have pandas!)
- The Peabody Hotel, for the March of the Ducks (at 11 AM and 5 PM every day)
- Beale Street (it doesn't look like much if you see it in daylight; go back at night and listen to it)
- A Memphis Redbirds baseball game in AutoZone Park, the nicest minor-league ballpark in America
So, where do you like to bring visitors to your town? And if you're familiar with one (or both) of my towns, what would you add to the list? Please let me know in a comment, and check out Ten on Tuesday to see where the players will be taking their visitors!